Saturday, February 9, 2013

I Can Cantor - More or Less . .. ...somewhat at least. .. ...

         Today, ( actually about two weeks ago, on Sunday, January 27th, 2013 ), by Grace, I was able to be a Cantor for the first time !!

         A Cantor is the choir member who sings the Psalm and the Gospel Acclamation.
 
        For you who aren't so churchy, a Psalm is a Hebrew song to God, that has been translated into English, so that it does not rhyme or have much of a beat. This means that the music, at least for the verses, is a single held note sentence that ends with the last
few words in the phrase moving up and down the scale. The Gospel Acclamation works the same way.

         So the Cantor, who this morning was me, sings the refrain of the Psalm SOLO AT THE FRONT OF THE CHURCH, BEFORE ALL OF THE CONGREGATION, WITH A MICROPHONE !! Then the refrain is sung by all, including the Cantor. The Cantor sings each verse SOLO !! with the congregation joining in for each refrain. The Gospel Acclamation consists of three solo sung "Alleluia"s by the cantor, three "alleluia"s by everyone, and then the sentence of the Gospel Acclamation sung solo by the Cantor, and ends with three "alleluia"s by everyone. Then the Gospel reading is read by the Priest.

        So far, except for singing solo in front of a pious audience, it isn't all that bad. But then I had a cold today, and I passed out from stress once about a week ago. I was a little light headed, similar to when I passed out recently, but all was good once I began.

          I've sung karaoke most recently last Christmas, but to step up to sing a part of the Mass brings all your shortcomings to mind and you know you are unworthy, but you still have to do it.

         When I joined the choir last September, one of the first questions the Choir Director asked was if I were a Cantor. My response was " I'd love to do it, but I'm not ready." It may not seem like much, but I really wanted to do it, and I practiced with a lot of help and support in the form of suggestions and encouragement. This was not what I would call easy, and nobody who, in this choir, who does Cantor, dismissed the burden, yet it brought me great sustaining Joy !

         Thanks to everyone in the Saint John the Baptist Roman Catholic Church Choir - 5pm and 9am !! I couldn't have done it without all of your generous support !

         Here's looking toward next time !!

         Oh yeah - it was Psalm 19 ! ( and the Gospel : Luke 1:1-4; 4:14-21 )




No comments: