Monday, February 20, 2017

Cephas bobble head coloured!!! Problem solved!!!

Click on this .gif image to see the head rotate!!!
Here is the completion of the Cast Rotations project.  This was a project to train myself to draw consistent characters, indeed 30 consistent characters, that seem solid without the features meandering around a weakly not-so-solid head.
I am pleased with the progress at this point. I can now graphically calculate 144 head positions, each with 4 points for each of three circles or ellipses that circle the head: ear to ear, nose to back, and around the eyes.  Also graphically calculated are the three lines: between the ears, top to bottom, and front to back, that can be extrapolated as parallels to drop the face and jaw from the front of the sphere.
This project began in 2011 when I found that every drawing of a single character looked like a completely different character.  Here are those drawings, which I refer to as "Head Rotations": https://www.sites.google.com/site/hesusjoychrist/home/hesus-joy-christ/matthew-s-five-s-nine#TOC-Head-Rotations---Locking-Down-the-Look-of-each-of-the-14-main-characters.  First I tried to force a solution by creating 15 Plasticine heads of the 15 main characters, which allowed me to actually make decisions of the characteristics of each character's head, such as a big or small nose, and so forth.  Photographing each head from 35 positions was fun, but it didn't help me to be more consistent in drawing the characters.  These photographs are also at the above link. To break out of that problem and force a solution I began to draw 15 main characters at a time, all in the same head position, which I refer to as "Cast Rotations", and they can be found here:  https://www.sites.google.com/site/hesusjoychrist/home/hesus-joy-christ/matthew-s-five-s-nine#TOC-Cast-Rotations---Locking-Down-the-Look-of-each-of-the-14-main-characters.  This was extremely helpful, but drew attention to problems with how each position was being portrayed.
In 2013 I realized that there are some rules about the ellipses that locate the features of a character's head.  I did some calculating, but I was not satisfied by the time I returned to full time work in the spring of 2014.  This past fall, at a social recreational art group, I took the opportunity to address my concerns with how the characters' facial features were to be located on a basic sphere, and this is discussed in the two previous posts.  
This post here, a .gif file, in my opinion, satisfies at least me, that the graphically calculated head positions are a major improvement that confirms that a solid drawing need not be overly concerned with details.
I plan to continue to draw Cast Rotations, or Head Rotations, armed with this ability to graphically calculate the locations of the features around a sphere, as time permits and as the mood hits me. Nevertheless I consider this problem solved, and feel I am better prepared to continue with the actual animation of HESUS JOY CHRIST / Matthew's Five's Nine.  Hopefully I will be satisfied with the improvement I find over and above the animation of the second Preview, posted here:    https://www.sites.google.com/site/hesusjoychrist/home/hesus-joy-christ/matthew-s-five-s-nine#TOC-Preview-Two  .  Sorry Gord, but I don't really think I did a good job of animating your head rotation!!!😅          

No comments: